Friday 23 April 2010

2 cousins on the Two Moors Way - Too much for me!

Apologies for late entries. It's been a busy few days....
Can it only be 9 days ago that it was cool and miserable like this ?
Two of my favourite cousins Richard and Nick Austin came by walking the Two Moors Way and stayed a night with us. So I offered to walk some of the local path near to here with them.
They poor souls had been walking from Ivybridge on the South of Dartmoor and had already got 3 days walking under thier belts by the time I caught up with them at Chagford, and we spent a very pleasant afternoon walking to Drewsteignton with plenty of time to talk about 'the old days' and relatives no longer with us....
I knew them both from little lads, and can well remember changing Richard's nappy when I was about 8 years old, but at the end of the walk uphill and downdale my knees were giving me gyp and I had to rely on them far too heavily as they supported me for the last half a mile. With me hanging on to Rich's arm for dear life and Nick one step below me on the final descent so that I could lean on his shoulder with my left arm, our parents would have smiled at the thought of me needing them as props in order to reach Drewsteignton Square where Robert soon arrived in the car to pick us up.
It was great to catch up with the boys, and after a cooked breakfast on the Thursday morning Rob drove them back to Drewsteignton where they picked up the walk again.
I heard from Nick on Sunday morning that they had completed the walk.
Rather them than me. Well done young 'uns xxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment