Friday 25 November 2011

Solar power, useless yesterday, brilliant today.



My life has changed dramatically since the 28th of July when we had solar panels fitted to the roof.

Years ago I read or heard an article that told us to use all heavy appliances in the night whenever possible, so as my washing machine is far enough from our bedroom for us not to hear it, I have steadfastly done the laundry at bedtime wherever possible to help offset the demand on power stations - less power at peak periods means fewer calls for more power stations to be built being the thinking.
BUT this year on a baking hot few days in Summer all that changed for me. And I seem to spend a good part of my life, now that the shorter days are here checking out the monitor that shows the power status and bemoaning the fact that on dull days we make as little as 12 pence in a day. HOWEVER on sunny days like today when the sky is that lovely clear blue colour, and the green light glows on our fuses board, I switch the old washer on with impunity.
If anyone knows of how we could store the power produced on days like this without buying huge storage batteries, then let us know. We have discussed night storage radiators, but himself is not too keen.
Lucky for us, we had the system installed before the Government changed their minds about the tariffs paid to us solar panel owners. At the time it seemed like a good place to put our life savings, as there was little else to do with it. Time will tell if it has been a good investment or not. -----
Sad to say we didn't feature too much in the Kirstie Allsopp show about Chagford Show. There was a good shot of Rob installing the scarecrow, but my interview with Madam herself did not feature. Local opinion is that she must have been too peeved at coming second in class....
Not to worry, life's too short to worry about things that didn't happen.
The sun's still shining.... so I think I'll do a spot of free hoovering now!!
You'd be surprised at how it cheers one up once you know that you are not paying for the pleasure. Look out for clean carpets if you visit !

No comments:

Post a Comment