Tuesday 19 April 2011

yet another B&B website uploaded this morning just after midnight !


A lady called Mary Lloyd-Williams got in touch and asked if she could come onto the Dartmoor Accommodation website.
She told me that she had been doing bed and breakfast from her home on the south of the moor since 1983, just one year before we started up in B&B ourselves. She sounded gracious and charming on the phone and her e-mails were nice and chatty. Last week I managed to go and say hello to her and take pictures of her lovely home down a bumpy old farm track at the back of beyond.
As I say in my write up on the site, it's not cutting edge modern. Far from it, but if I was a child ages from 2 to 12 with even the slightest interest in the natural world, this is just the sort of place I should like my family to book into for most of the Summer holidays.
There are ponies in the fild, an inquisitive cat, 2 friendly black labradors Archie and Cobble and there must be hundreds of birds nests within a stones throw of the house. Not that Mary would encourage younsters to throw any stones. Two minutes in her company and I see that she is one of the most charming of Dartmoor's many landladies. We nip out into the garden and she calls to the ponies in the field who come cantering down to say hello to her. She and her husband Dick have a very pretty garden surrounded by trees with a stream running through. Birdsong fills the air and there is a real sense of country retreat about the place. She told me in her first conversation that the house is rather ugly, and I have to take issue with that. The house is very 'her' and the visitors book is rammed with grateful thanks and mentions of how sweet and caring she is.
No it's not straight off the pages of Ideal home, but I'm sure you will enjoy the home made marmalade at breakfast here and if your beloved four year old needs to collect frogspawn to examine it, she is the kind of person who will produce a spare jamjar, be happy to join in with the collecting, and then later on take time to caringly explain why the frogspawn needs to go back into the water again once examination has taken place. I just know it.
Do take a look at the new website http://www.hookscottage.co.uk/ that I built for her. Have I managed to get across to you just what sort of place it is ?

I alerted Mary to take a look and she came back to me with an e-mail saying
'Dear Jill -
Just got back from work to find this FABULOUS website - you really are amazing and we LOVE it. I'll get my family to have a look today too.
The directions are such a wonderful added bonus too.
All my thanks for the fantastic site.
Mary - in haste to get some very nice guests their Full English !'

I just knew that she would be generous in her appraisal.
This job of mine is so enjoyable.
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment