Tuesday 22 December 2009

Happy Christmas to you. Yes you - that person that is reading my blog !

What a crowded week.... Was it only 5 days ago that we were down at the Victoria Inn at Ashburton enjoying a curry night with pals? There meeting the young puppy Baxter seen here in the arms of Nick the friendly landlord. Everyone in the pub oohed and aahhed over him (the dog not the publican!)
I will be adding the details to my food review, but it will have to wait until after Christmas now.
This little swimmer is our cute little grand-daughter Nancy. We had her overnight on Thursday and as she is just like most other nearly 2 year olds, she had us jumping through hoops trying to keep her occupied for the 2 days. She's just at that stage when she can understand hide and seek and Rob and I must have looked just like the doting oldies that we are, dodging behind the settee, dobbing down behind the fridge, and standing behind the sitting room door with big fat grins on our faces loving every minute, waiting for the moment when we could shout out BOO and wrap her in our arms waiting each time for the instruction "More Gandad"
We took it in turns to keep her amused, whilst trying to catch up with the 101 other things that press in at this time of year. Not least, the making of the Christmas cards that I started to doing over 20 years ago.
We had the girls at home when it all started, and then it was a way of saving pennies. I swear each year that this will be the last time I do it, but somehow as Christmas approaches, I think of well - just this year then.
We went to a party at neighbours on Sunday and another neighbour asked me if I enjoy making them and I replied 'No' but that was when I had made over 50 of them throughout the day and was feeling a bit weary. Nowadays I have a strict rule about everything in the making being recycled, from the card to the envelopes that Rob slices up for me and refashions with the use of the guillotine and glue.
And when I see them all in a row waiting for me to add the messages, I do feel proud of all that effort and look forward to everyone passing comment. So really I should have said Yes.
Every year I say that I will start work on them earlier and it not be such a rush, but somehow it never works out..... Life gets in the way. Jennifer asks me to have Nancy - Yes oh yes. we need to go out with pals - yep count us in, the party invite drops onto the mat from a host that we know to be more liberal than most with his good vintage champagne, the Strictly Come Dancing run up and final take up a good chunk of my time along with the X factor and the beloved Joe Mc Eldrey - who wouldn't want him as a youngest son ? and as I type we still need to go out shopping for the final collection of fresh fruit and veg.
First thing this morning I made a mass of flapjack as everyone rates it. I wasn't wearing my glasses as I sprinkled the last layer of sesame seeds on the top though, and at the last minute I realised I had wrongly used some organic bulgar wheat instead...... oh well, I will have to have a sample some myself after lunch today before I wrap up a few bars in greaseproof paper and rustic looking string with home made labels for the one or two folks I give it to.....
Will let you know the result in the next blog.
If I don't manage to get back to the desk for a day or two, stirring the gibletty gravy or whatever, then all the best to you for the festive break.
AND Happy New Year to us one and all. xxxxx
p.s. I have been studying our Google statistics, and have been staggered to know how many people are regular readers of this blog. I had been thinking about stopping it, but Martin our part time techy chap pointed out to me how many of you there are - over 200. Which is very flattering. But why don't you add yourselves to the list of followers ? I should love to see more faces or anonymous shapes even in that column. Please feel free to pass comments.
I will try to keep it up to date more than I do. You know how it is don't you ?
It's a bit like when you are young and your Mum says to you, Go on, you'll like it when you get there, and actually you really enjoy yourself ..... It's just like that.
Cheerio for now though Jill




No comments:

Post a Comment