Thursday 1 October 2009

Sorry to be such a tardy correspondant (or is it correspondent ?)

Not been at the desk much this week as my pal Jo has been down from Shrewsbury. She's going through a divorce. It's tempting always to say a messy divorce isn't it, but I guess no divorce is a picnic.
So we tried to make her feel welcome and spoil her a little with a few of the niceties of life, tea in bed, no housework thank you very much, favourite food and lots of time to chat.
On Monday she and I took Nancy off Jennifer's hands for a few hours and walked into Exeter, which was new territory for Jo. There's something about a toddler that makes you forget your troubles, and Jo was a lot more chipper when we had taken Nancy to the park on the way home, even though we were back at Jaff's later than we had been instructed, and we lost Brownie points for leaving the grand-daughter's drinking cup in Giraffe restaurant in the city.... yes the one where the extremist tried to let off a suicide bomb in the cafe toilet last June.
The thing I like about the Giraffe is that the windows take up the whole of the frontage, allowing those indoors to watch the world go by. The notion that a man approaching in the street, could walk through the door, nip into the cafe toilet and contemplate blowing everyone in the building to Kingdom Come takes some getting your head round.
But hey, let's think of better things to cheer ourselves up. Jo set off this morning back for Shrewsbury saying that she felt a lot better and had thought a great many things over. I have uploaded the picture that doesn't show her face as she maintains that she looks really old these days, and as I am just 6 weeks younger than she is, maybe I should become more wary of letting you see what I look like.
One thing I am happy to show you is the pic of Nancy at the top of the slide.
Incredible to think that in the space of just 20 months from birth a little body can learn to zoom down a slide on her own, know the difference between a dog and a cat, feed herself with a spoon, climb the stairs without falling, put 2 words together that make sense 'Bye Jo' totally without prompting and be so loved by so many doting relatives.....
Mind you she is utterly delectable.....

But then again, I am her Granny, so I wouldn't think anything else would I ?

Rob's just poured me a sherry....
Jo if you're reading this..... we already miss you X

Cheers Dears

No comments:

Post a Comment