Friday 19 August 2011

Kirstie Allsopp, my man's made of better stuff than yours!


Kirstie Allsopp came to Chagford Show yesterday, filming for her new series ‘Crafty Britain’.
Sadly her home made scarecrow came in second out of 8 entries, but her visit to the show caused much excitement as the camera crew followed her with hairy microphone aloft and a string of young film crew watching her every move. I asked if I could take her photo with her scarecrow and she duly obliged with a cheery smile from her and the 8 young children who accompanied her.


After the picture, she suggested that they all take a look at the winning entry to compare it, and I owned up to being the owner. We all made our way to the far end of the marquee and she kindly warned the children that they should bear in mind that I was the person who had built the scarecrow, then she encouraged the kids to make comparisons. It was all in good spirit, but I think she was a mite put out that my entry beat hers, even to the point of suggesting that it had all been an 'inside job' !!
Now, I ask you. Click on this photo of me with my scarecrow.
Anyone can see that this is the worthy winner. Her specimen had no outstretched hands and it looks as if the first blast of Devonshire downpour would knock that sweet little home made carrot right off his overstuffed face.
It was lovely meeting you Kirstie, but you must know that Liz the Horticultural Section Secretary would die rather than allow a judge to know who had submitted any entry. The mere suggestion that there was any bias in play does you no credit whatsoever....

When it comes to building a scarecrow ... yup .....I think I have the edge....

3 comments:

  1. Happy to report that scarecrow has survived several Devon Downpours already and nose is good and intact. He stands up well against the wind as well and was greatly enjoyed by everybody who contributed to making it. Children were very pleased with a second place !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirstie, Thanks for the comment. Nice of you to take it in such good spirit. Glad to hear that your scarecrow is showing such fortitude against recent squalls. Long may his nose and other bits stand firm. And good luck with your new series. Needless to say, everyone who saw you at the show wishes you well and is looking forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirstie, I hope that this gets through to you. I have just added a note about your new show and the transmission details for episode 6 to the Chagford show website. www.chagfordshow.com
    So far K.H.B. most entertaining. Might have a different opinion if I look too old/stupid/tongue tied/fat talking to you about scarecrows. Maybe with any luck I landed on the cutting room floor. all the best Jilly P

    ReplyDelete