Thursday 6 January 2011

Youth Hostels no longer old hat.

















How things have changed in the world of Youth Hostelling ! I visited the Okehampton YHA hostel in October and was delighted to see how clean and lovely it all is these days. When we moved to Chagford in 1984 there used to be a Youth Hostel in nearby Gidleigh that was run by a real martinet of a spinster lady, who used to be very upright and offputting. She insisted that everyone was in bed
by ten with strict segregation of the sexes.
As she offered no food in the evening, all the hostellers used to walk down to the Northmore Arms in Throwleigh, but heaven help them when they managed to find their way back in the dark in jolly mood.
I am way overdue in writing up my reviews. I have 2 food reviews in hand and another accommodation visit waiting to be written up, so please accept my apologies....
You would think that there is nothing easier than sitting at the desk writing about places to stay, but I am very easily distracted. Tea, coffee, phone calls, visitors, e-mail, dog in need of a walk, pastry to make, you name it.... I have just waved goodbye to local Grandparents Margaret and Maurice who had asked me to take photos of their family gathering at Christmas. Seventeen happy family members all in one house! They came to view the results and happily they are very pleased with the results, so copy cd's will be wending their way to offspring in London, New York and France.... and of course we needed to have a cup of tea and a chat about this and that didn't we ?
Anyway, if you would like to have a look at my review of the charming Youth hostel at Okehampton, HERE IS THE LINK TO CLICK.
As you can see - the YHA has certainly moved with the times.

No comments:

Post a Comment